Friday, August 04, 2006

What a week & More about France

Sorry it's been almost a week now since I first posted, I've been rather busy this week. I am supervising a machine installation & startup for work right now, so I have put in 50 hours already this week, and I'm even thinking about logging a few more tomorrow.

The hours aren't all bad, as I enjoy this job far better than my old one at KC. The biggest reason being that they treat me far better here. And they do their best to recognize a job well done. (*gasp*) :) For example, I get paid for all the extra time I put in, because now I'm hourly and not salaried. In addition, I get a bonus check twice a year based on my performance, and what kind of profit I'm making for the company... Wow! Imagine that, showing a little appreciation to your employees... I know a certain other company that could learn a little from my new employer. :)

I guess that sounds really negative, but honestly I'm not bitter or anything. My first job was good, and I am thankful for it. Now I am just really enjoying my new job, and happy to be living here in Woodbury.

So, more France stories! Last time, I just posted a few general pictures of the camp, so I thought I would start telling a few stories this time. And where better to start then the beginning?

Originally, we were planning to attend our favorite festival, Cornerstone this summer, with our good friends Troy and Meleah. Back in February, they told us that they would not be going to with us, because they felt God was calling them to go on a missions trip our church was planning for the summer. We were disappointed at the time, but after some prayer, we felt God leading us to go on the trip as well.

After a few months of French podcasts, music practice, and assorted other preparations, we were ready to go. In the end, our group consisted of the four of us, and Jeannine. Troy, Meleah, and us were the music team for the camp, and Jeannine was our leader. She had been to the camp before, and even spent some time living in France when she was younger, so she was a huge help to the group of us traveling with a French vocabulary only slightly bigger than "merci" and "bon jour" :)

We left around noon central time on June 28, and after 3 planes, 2 buses, and a van, we arrived at the camp. All in all, it was approximately 24 hours of traveling. Which was rough on CA and I, as we have trouble sleeping on planes. The only excitement to speak of on the way there was the airlines loosing our instruments and Meleah's bag. It ended up working out really well though, because they were all delivered to the camp in good condition the next morning. In retrospect, it was nice to not have to carry our instruments around all day on the buses and such.

So here are a few pictures from that day of traveling, and the day after, when we got to tour Bourg D'Oisans, before the campers showed up. Enjoy!


Troy and Meleah enjoying the plane ride...



CA and I enjoying our plane ride...



At least someone slept on the flight over the Atlantic... not me! :(

Our fearless Leader... :)

We weren't quite as cheery sitting in the Lyon Airport waiting for our guitars to show up...

But there was some beautiful scenery on the way to the camp

France really is beautiful

And eventually we arrived at the end of our journey (for that day)


And saw a little of the town



In the end, the trip was good, and we arrived safely :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You mean you don't like to work 70+ hours a week with no overtime and the constant risk of getting laid off? :)